Mission to Mercury – level 2
The ESA (European Space Agency) and Japan plan to study Mercury. They made a spacecraft named BepiColombo that is on its way to Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, which is in French Guiana in South America. BepiColombo will launch from there in October 2018.
It will take seven years for the spacecraft to reach the planet’s orbit. The project scientist explained that getting to Mercury is even more difficult than getting to Pluto because of the sun and its powerful gravity.
The spacecraft will have to make planetary flybys around Earth, Venus and Mercury. It will have to use a lot of energy to brake against the sun’s gravity.
Difficult words: launch (go up to space), orbit (when something goes around a planet because of its gravity), brake (slow down, move against).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos