Mississippi shooting – level 3
A man armed with three guns went on a rampage in the small Mississippi town of Akabutla before sheriff’s deputies arrested him near his home.
The man killed his ex-wife and five other people in three locations, including a shop at a petrol station and two homes. Police have charged a 52-year-old local man with first-degree murder and held him at the county jail. The motive for his attack has remained unknown. According to the sheriff, there wasn’t a lot of violent crime in the town that had a community of fewer than 300 people.
Friday’s incident marks the 73rd mass shooting since the year began. In a statement, US president Joe Biden condemned the shooting and he called gun violence in the country an epidemic. He again urged Congress to pass tougher gun laws.
Difficult words: rampage (violent and uncontrollable behavior), motive (a reason for doing something), condemn (to express strong disapproval of).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the motive for the shooting in Akabutla?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos