Mixed-race woman with leukaemia – level 1
This news is about a woman. She is 24 years old. She is mixed-race. She is Thai-Italian. She is ill. She has leukaemia.
She must have a transplant. It is hard to find a donor for her. It is hard because she is mixed-race.
Her family and an organisation help her. They ask people for help. In the end, they find a donor. The woman is getting a transplant next month.
Difficult words: race (a person who is part of a group that looks the same), transplant (an operation to move a body part from one person to another), donor (a person who donates – gives a part of his or her body to help somebody).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you know people who need transplants?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.