Mobile Bookshop in Baghdad – level 3
In Baghdad, a bookworm named Ali al-Moussawi turned his van into a mobile bookshop and makes up to $4,000 a month as he sells books around the city. His bookshop has done well and with his success, he hired four people to help him.
Al-Moussawi said that it took him nine months to achieve his idea and he hopes that it will bring people’s attention to and promote reading. He said that he wants to develop his bookshop and ‘improve its current shape’.
As he moves his van, he changes the books that are on display. This is because the city is still divided and in Sunni areas, the books on Saddam Hussein are still popular.
Difficult words: bookworm (a person who enjoys books), promote (make something popular), divide (not the same in what you think about something), Sunni (a religious group within Islam).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos