Moby the Boat – level 1
A man makes a boat. It takes him 20 years. He spends 100,000 pounds on the boat. The boat is special. It looks like a whale. The boat is named after Moby-Dick. Moby-Dick is the whale in Herman Melville’s famous book.
The boat is 20 metres long. It is on a lake in Scotland. The man wants to sail to London. From London, he wants to sail to New York. It is 5,600 kilometres to New York.
The man is 73 years old. He says that doing this is better than watching TV.
Difficult words: sail (to ride in a boat that has a sail – a large cloth to help move the boat).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Would you ride this boat from England to New York?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos