Mohamed al-Fayed dies – level 2
Egyptian billionaire Mohamed al-Fayed has died at the age of 94.
Al-Fayed began as a salesman and made money in real estate and construction in the Middle East and Europe. He owned British symbols like Harrods and Fulham FC, he was always considered an outsider in the UK. He had a long-lasting argument with the British government over citizenship and he often talked about moving to France, where he received a top award.
Al-Fayed spent ten years trying to prove that Diana and his son died in a car crash in 1997 and that the crash was a murder. He accused the British royal family that they caused the accident. Al-Fayed died a day before the 26th anniversary of their deaths.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think motivated al-Fayed to work so hard to prove that Diana and his son died in a car crash and that it was a murder?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.