Moldova attacks – level 3
Unknown attackers launched hand grenades against a state building in the Moldovan republic of Transnistria.
The incident caused concerns that the Russian-backed area could join the war in Ukraine. The incidents put the country’s government on high alert, and president Maia Sandu said that she knew of several bomb alerts in schools and medical institutions. She also knew of an escalation of tension in the past few weeks.
Sandu added that Moldovan authorities were following the events with caution and vigilance. The escalation attempts came from within the Transnistria region, where pro-war forces are interested in destabilizing the situation. However, the region is a part of Moldova, and its citizens live there.
Difficult words: escalation (a situation in which something becomes greater or more serious), vigilance (the state of keeping careful watch for possible danger), destabilize (to make a government or area lose power or control).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos