Moldova crisis – level 2
Moldova is a small country of 2.5 million people which lies between Ukraine and Romania.
In 2020, new president Maia Sandu promised that the country would seek to become a member of the European Union. Moldova used to be part of the Soviet Union, so this news made Russia very angry.
Since the war in Ukraine started in February 2022, the situation in Moldova became unstable. There were bomb hoaxes, internet hacks, and protests. Some people say that Russia is trying to undermine the pro-western government. In some parts of Moldova, almost everyone speaks Russian, mainly because of the common history of both countries. Allegedly, some people support Russia, but officials said that the country didn’t want to become part of the conflict between the West and Russia.
Difficult words: seek (to try to get something), bomb hoax (when someone says that a bomb is somewhere, but it is not true), undermine (to make someone less powerful), allegedly (according to what someone says, but it is not clear if it is true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What economic and political benefits does Moldova hope to receive by joining the European Union?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos