Money in Streets – level 2
A gang of about 30 men took control over the streets of Criciúma, Brazil. The criminals blocked access to the city to stop the police from taking any action.
The men came to the city in expensive cars just after midnight. Some people filmed them, and it was clear that they were well trained and organized. They robbed a bank and blew it up. They damaged cars and started to shoot in the streets.
The mayor of the city asked people to stay in their homes. When the criminals were leaving the city, they littered the streets with money, and some people ran outside to grab some of it.
Difficult words: access (to get somewhere), taking action (when you do something). litter (to leave many things lying around a place), grab (to quickly take something)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos