Money in Streets – level 3
Dozens of apparently highly trained gunmen besieged the streets of the Brazilian city of Criciúma.
The gang of about 30 criminals in ten cars strategically blocked access points to the city to prevent police from responding. They robbed and blew up a local bank and took six government workers as hostages. They occupied the city for roughly two hours, while the mayor of the city begged terrified residents to stay indoors.
After blowing up the bank, the convoy escaped and left large sums of money scattered across the streets. Some locals rushed to grab some of the cash that the attackers had left behind.
Difficult words: besiege (to surround a place with armed forces), hostage (a person who has been captured by a person or organization in order to secure the taker´s demands), occupy (to take over an area), convoy (a group of cars traveling together).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.