Monkeypox – level 1
Monkeypox is a disease. It gives people a fever and a rash. The sick person gets red bumps on the skin. Monkeypox usually happens in Africa. It rarely moves to other countries. Now, it is in nine countries in Europe, the US, Canada, and Australia.
Experts don’t know how the virus leaves Africa. Many patients are men. They are gay or bisexual.
Experts say that monkeypox isn’t very dangerous. Smallpox is a similar disease. It is more dangerous. We have a vaccine for it. The vaccine keeps most people safe from smallpox.
Difficult words: rarely (not very often), bisexual (when someone likes both men and women sexually), vaccine (a medicine to stop a disease before it makes you sick).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos