Monkeypox – level 2
Monkeypox is a virus, which causes fever and a rash. It is usual in west and central Africa, and it rarely spreads elsewhere.
Monkeypox has two main strains called the west African and the Congo strains. The Congo strain is more dangerous, and about 10% of patients die from it.
Now, nine European countries, the US, Canada, and Australia confirmed monkeypox infections, which worries officials. Experts don’t know how the virus spreads, but many cases were among gay or bisexual men.
We have no vaccine for monkeypox, but we can use a vaccine for smallpox, which is quite similar. The vaccine protects about 85% of people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.