Monkeys in a city – level 3
Now these are what you call cheeky monkeys!
Yeah, residents of Agra city in the North of India are facing an ever-growing problem, as thousands of monkeys have invaded their city!
The monkeys are reportedly going into people’s homes and stealing food and clothes, forcing residents to cover their balconies and windows with iron grills.
Now monkeys are worshiped by the Hindu community in India as avatars of Lord Hanuman. And because of this some residents have been feeding them which has made the situation a lot worse.
A depleting forest cover around Agra as the city progresses is one of the reasons why the monkeys have come out of their natural habitat in search of food and shelter.
Difficult words: cheeky (rude and disrespectful), reportedly (according to what people say), worship (to show respect and love for a god), avatar (an alternate version of something), deplete (to reduce).
How would you solve this problem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos