Monsoon Flooding – level 2
Monsoon flooding affected around 6.7 million people in India. Over 100 people in India and Nepal died in the flooding and landslides. Pakistan and Bangladesh say that over 40 people died from lightning strikes.
Over two million acres of farmland were flooded, livestock died, and homes and roads were damaged. India’s National Disaster Management Authority is warning more people to be prepared for floods. The authority also says that people should disinfect their homes after the flooding, use mosquito nets and stay away from fallen power lines.
Difficult words: monsoon (a wind in South East Asia which brings rain), flooding (a lot of water), disinfect (clean with chemicals to kill bacteria).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos