Moon Landing – level 3
On Tuesday, China’s Chang’e-5 spacecraft successfully landed on the near side of the moon. The probe entered the moon’s orbit on Saturday after a 122-hour journey from Earth.
The spacecraft had automatically detected and identified obstacles before it landed in a pre-selected area that had not been previously explored. The probe touched down in a place known as the Ocean of Storms that consisted of a vast lava plain. During the landing process, cameras aboard the lander took images of the landing and sent them back to Earth.
About two kilograms of samples are expected to be collected, sealed in a container, and carried back to Earth. If the return journey is successful, China will be only the third country to have retrieved samples from the moon, following the US and Soviet Union in the 60s and 70s.
Difficult words: probe (an object or vehicle that is used for exploration), plain (a large area of flat land with few or no trees), retrieve (to bring something back from somewhere).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos