Moonflower – level 3
A rare Amazonian cactus called Selinecereus, or the moonlight cactus, has bloomed for what botanists believe is the first time in the UK.
The plant is naturally found in Central America, the Caribbean, and northern South America, and it has white flowers that only last a single night in most species. It is cultivated only in 13 botanic gardens in the world.
Experts at Cambridge University´s Botanic Garden kept a night watch throughout the week so that they didn´t miss the flowering of the moonlight cactus, an event that usually begins at sunset and it is over by sunrise. The ‘moonflower’ actually bloomed earlier on Saturday afternoon at around 3 pm, and the garden said that it was 28 centimeters long.
The strongly desired flower produces a sweet-smelling scent that turns rancid after just two hours as the plant begins to die.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.