More expensive beer – level 2
Carlsberg is a Danish company that makes beer. Last week, it announced that it would raise the prices of its products.
The cost of one liter of beer went up by 12% last year because the costs of ingredients and transportation went up. When businesses started to improve after the coronavirus, companies had problems producing enough raw materials. Raw materials are the things that people use to make other things. As a result, the prices of materials went up a lot.
Carlsberg said that higher prices may mean that people will drink less beer. Now the company wants to sell more of its other products, for example, ciders, mineral water, and alcohol-free beer.
Difficult words: raise (to make something higher), ingredient (one of all the different things which are a part of a drink or food), cider (an alcoholic drink from apple juice).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos