Moscow Politics – level 2
Every Moscow councillor is now pro-Kremlin, but there is going to be an election this September. Candidates have to collect enough signatures if they want to be on the ballot.
Authorities ban some candidates because they do not have enough valid signatures. On the other hand, the opposition politicians say that the signatures are valid. They say that they are being blocked because they are not pro-Kremlin.
This month, the situation gave rise to a series of protests. Around 22,000 people come to one of the protests. Authorities say that the protests are illegal. They arrest more than 1,000 people. Some of them are the opposition politicians.
Difficult words: councillor (a ‘boss’ of a city), election (the time when people choose their leaders), ballot (a piece of paper where you choose who you are voting for), authorities (the people in power), valid (real, legal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.