Moscow Politics – level 3
All of Moscow’s city council seats are currently pro-Kremlin, but they are all up for election this September. To be on the ballot, candidates are required to collect a certain number of signatures, depending on the size of the district.
Authorities banned some candidates because they do not have enough valid signatures. On the other hand, the opposition politicians say that the signatures are valid and they are being blocked so that there will continue to be pro-Kremlin councillors only.
This month, the situation gave rise to a series of protests, including one that drew 22,000 people. However, authorities declared the protests illegal, and they arrested more than 1,000 people, including opposition politicians.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.