Most Refugees Ever – level 2
A report by a refugee agency says that the number of people who had to leave their homes increased by 2.3 million from 2017 to 2018. The total number was 70 million people. It is the highest on record and double the number from 10 years ago.
The report says that people are running away from civil wars and other conflicts, droughts, political problems, and poverty.
A UN leader said that the report shows that there is a rising number of people who need safety. The report came out ahead of Thursday’s World Refugee Day.
Difficult words: refugee (a person who must leave their home because it is not safe), drought (when it is very dry and plants cannot grow to make food), poverty (being very poor).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos