Mosul Mosque – level 3
The incomplete Grand Mosque in the Iraqi city of Mosul is under construction again.
The mosque is situated in eastern Mosul, overlooking the Tigris River, and it was previously called Saddam Mosque after the former Iraqi president. Building began in the mid-nineties; however, works were interrupted due to political instability in the country.
Work was supposed to restart in 2013; however, the battle against ISIS in northern Iraq further delayed it. ISIS reportedly used the mosque as an explosive factory and a sniper outpost.
The structure was lucky to survive as the terrorist group was ousted from the city. Now, the Iraqi Sunni Endowment is funding the project to finish the mosque. In 2018, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) promised to provide $50 million dollars to fund the reconstruction project with a joint collaboration between the UAE, UNESCO, and Iraq´s culture ministry.
The expected completion date of the reconstruction is in 2023.
Difficult words: sniper (a person who shoots at people from a hiding place), outpost (a small group of buildings used for trading or military purposes), oust (to remove someone from a place or position).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.