Mother gets a different baby – level 3
The months-long saga of two babies switched shortly after birth at an exclusive private hospital in El Salvador and given to the wrong mothers has ended after the infants were reunited with their biological families.
The controversy began on May 21st. When Casanella left the hospital a few days after giving birth, she noticed that the infant given to her had darker skin than she remembered from her first encounter with the newborn, eventually prompting her to seek a DNA test weeks later, which concluded she was not the mother of the boy.
At a news conference in the capital, Casanella told media that she has been making up for lost time since she was reunited with her baby, saying, “I want to say that it has been an amazing feeling – I could hug him and I could see that he doesn’t know what happened. He spends his time laughing and is happy, connected with his family. This time that we have spent together has been to make up for the time we were apart.”
The doctor who performed the birth, Antonio Guidos, has been named as the main suspect by a judge in the case while an investigation is ongoing.
Difficult words: saga (a series of incidents; a long story), infant (a baby), encounter (a meeting), suspect (a person people think is guilty of a crime).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos