Mother in hospital – level 1
This news is from England. A woman is in hospital. She is giving birth. Doctors give her an injection. The injection makes her feel no pain.
The mother gives birth. Five hours later, she cannot feel her legs. She asks the doctors, but they say that it is fine. The next day, it is the same. She cannot feel her legs. The doctors start to panic. They operate on her.
The woman has a clot in her body. It presses on her spinal cord. This is bad. The woman cannot walk now. She feels very bad.
Difficult words: to give birth (to make the baby come out of your body), clot (a piece of hard blood in your body), spinal cord (the series of small bones in your back).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.