Motorcycle wheelie speed record – level 3
Gary Rothwell was back on the track on Saturday, attempting to beat the world motorcycle wheelie speed record.
“Last month, I done 197.8 mile an hour, which I won the event. I was just on one and a half mile an hour off the world record, and only 2.2 mile an hour off the actual record that we wanted to get, which is the first person to ever get over 200 mile an hour on one wheel.”
Riding on Elvington Airfield’s speed track, the stunt rider had to make two runs, with one wheel off the ground for the kilometre distance, with his average speed counting towards the record.
It was second time lucky for Gary – he clocked an average speed of 209.8 mph beating the world record.
“I can’t actually believe it myself, I donet twenty minutes ago at 200.3 mile an hour. I’ve just gone went back out again and done 209.8 mile an hour, couldn’t believe it myself!”
Difficult words: attempt (to try), wheelie (a trick when a bicycle or a motorcycle is ridden with the front wheel raised off the ground), stunt (a dangerous action), run (a route taken by a vehicle), clock (to register something like speed).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.