Mount Etna Erupts – level 2
Mount Etna is the tallest volcano in Europe. It is also one of the world’s most active volcanoes because it is active almost all the time.
Mount Etna is in Sicily, an Italian island. It is near the city of Catania, which it threatened many times in the past. People wrote about the volcano more than 3,500 years ago.
In 2021, Etna was very active. It erupted so much material that it grew 30 meters higher. In March 2021, it erupted 11 times in three weeks. The ash cloud was as high as 10 kilometers, and planes couldn’t fly.
Last week, Mount Etna erupted again. People saw lava, which looked like an orange river, and it moved down the mountain. Once again, some flights were canceled.
Difficult words: threaten (to put someone or something at risk), ash (a grey powder after something burns), lava (hot liquid rock which comes out of a volcano).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos