Mount Etna Erupts – level 3
A series of explosions preceded the latest eruption of Europe´s highest active volcano, Mount Etna. The Italian volcano is located near Catania, the second largest city on the island of Sicily.
Mount Etna erupted this week, sending a cloud of ash and spewing fountains of lava into the air; however, local authorities reported no danger to the towns situated on the volcano´s slopes.
With a height of 3,326 meters, Mount Etna is by far the largest of the three active volcanoes in Italy, being about two and a half times the height of the next largest, Mount Vesuvius. Mount Etna is one of the world´s most active volcanoes, and it is in an almost constant state of activity. The most recent eruption on December 24, 2018, was followed by an earthquake that shook Catania, damaged buildings, and injured four people.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.