Mount Etna Erupts – level 3
Mount Etna is Europe’s tallest and one of the world’s most active volcanoes.
The volcano is on the east coast of Sicily, Italy, near the city of Catania. Mount Etna has almost constant activity, which alternates periods of rest and periods of eruption. The volcano has one of the world’s longest documented history of activity over 3,500 years.
Over a six-month period in 2021, Etna erupted so much volcanic material that its height increased 30 meters. In March 2021, it erupted 11 times in three weeks. The eruptions consistently sent ash clouds over 10 kilometers into the air, and the clouds closed Sicilian airports.
Last week, Mount Etna erupted again with plumes of ash in the sky, and it disrupted flights. People watched a stunning display of lava flowing down the mountain and heading for the ‘Lion Valley’.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.