Moving slime – level 3
Scientists from the Chinese University of Hong Kong created a magnetic slime that squeezes through narrow spaces, encircles smaller objects, and heals itself.
Magnets control the slime, and it can act as both a solid and a liquid. Scientists envisage that the slime could potentially be useful in the digestive system, such as in reducing the harm from accidentally swallowed objects like batteries.
Scientists move the slime with external magnets. Although the magnetic parts are toxic, they’re safe when they’re covered in a silicone compound. The so-called soft robot can also bend, travel, and reshape to form O and C shapes.
People on social media compared the dark blob to Flubber, the eponymous substance in the 1997 sci-fi film, and they described it as amazing and a bit terrifying.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.