Mudslides in Brazil – level 1
In Brazil, it rains a lot. It rains so much that it makes a mudslide happen. The mudslide covers eight people and two houses. Four people die.
One person who dies is a grandmother, but her granddaughter doesn’t die. The grandmother puts her arm over her granddaughter. This protects her from the mudslide.
People cannot go back to their homes. Mudslides can happen again.
Mudslides and landslides happen more and more in Brazil. This is because there are a lot of floods, winds and storms.
Difficult words: mudslide (when wet dirt comes down a mountain), protect (to keep safe), landslide (when a lot of dirt or rocks come down a mountain).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these mudslides?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.