Mudslides in Brazil – level 2
In Brazil, a mudslide killed four people after it buried two houses and eight people. A grandmother was one of the people who died and who managed to save her granddaughter by throwing her arm over her.
People cannot go back to their homes because of the risk of more mudslides and landslides. Sadly, mudslides are becoming more common in Brazil because of the growing frequency of floods, high winds and storms. Sometimes, it is hard to tell how many people die because of mudslides because people cannot find their bodies under the buildings that fall down.
Difficult words: mudslide (when a lot of wet earth suddenly falls down the side of a hill), manage (to succeed at doing something), frequency (how often something happens).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these mudslides?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos