Mudslides in Brazil – level 3
A mudslide in southeastern Brazil has killed four people when two houses collapsed and eight people were buried after heavy rains.
The fatalities include a grandmother who managed to save the life of her one-year-old granddaughter by throwing her arm over her to protect the child.
Local media said that the civil defense has banned residents from returning to 37 homes in the disaster zone due to a risk of further landslides in the area.
In the last few years, the increasing frequency of floods, high winds and storms has become part of the new normal in Brazil with mudslides becoming much too regular an occurrence. Scenes of widespread devastation like this one are not uncommon and the death toll is often hard to predict as bodies remain trapped in the rubble.
Difficult words: collapse (to fall down quickly), fatality (a death), ban (to keep someone from going somewhere), resident (a person who lives somewhere), zone (an area), new normal (something that used to be rare that now happens often), occurrence (an event), devastation (when something is badly or completely damaged), death toll (the number of people who died), rubble (the pieces of a building).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos