Mugabe’s birthday party – level 1
Zimbabwe is a country in Africa. It is in the south. Robert Mugabe is the country’s president. He is 92 years old. He celebrates his birthday.
The birthday party costs 1 million dollars. Some people criticise this. There is a drought in Zimbabwe. Three million people don’t have enough food.
Many people come to Zimbabwe’s capital. They celebrate the president’s birthday.
Mugabe gives a speech. He talks about the country’s problems. He says that Zimbabwe has problems because of the West.
Difficult words: celebrate (to do something special to show something is important), criticise (if you criticise something, you say that you do not like it), drought (when the weather is dry – when it does not rain), give a speech (to talk to many people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Zimbabwe’s problems?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.