Murder Hornet Nest – level 2
Last year, people started to spot murder hornets in the US. It was a big surprise because murder hornets live in tropical parts of Asia, and nobody knew how they got to the US.
Now, experts finally found a nest in Washington state and it was about the size of a basketball. Experts caught some bugs, and they fixed a special device to them. The device showed them the way to the nest.
Murder hornets are not usually able to kill people, but if a person is allergic to their venom, he can go into shock. Murder hornets are very dangerous to honeybees, and they can destroy a honeybee nest in a few hours. It is a big problem for farmers who need honeybees to grow their crops.
Difficult words: nest (a place that some animals use for their eggs and young), allergic (the condition that makes your body very sensitive to something and it can kill you), venom (a toxic or poisonous substance that snakes, spiders, and other animals use to kill other animals), hive (a place where honeybees live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.