Murderer climbs over prison walls – level 3
Surveillance footage captured the daring escape of a convicted killer Danilo Cavalcante who used an unusual ‘crab walk’ technique to scale two prison walls in Pennsylvania, the United States.
The video shows the 34-year-old inmate placing his hands on one wall and his feet on another to climb upwards. After reaching the roof, he dove through barbed wire and scaled additional razor wire to evade capture. He escaped just days after being sentenced to life imprisonment without parole for stabbing his girlfriend to death in 2021. Cavalcante has been on the run since last week, and has been spotted in the local area several times since then. Residents have been warned that he is dangerous, and to be vigilant at all times.
Another inmate had previously used the same method to escape but was quickly recaptured. Prison authorities have promised to increase security to prevent it from happening a third time.
Difficult words: inmate (a person confined to an institution such as a prison or hospital), barbed wire (wire with short sharp spikes), parole (permission for a prisoner to be released before the period in prison is finished, usually on the promise of good behavior).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures has the prison implemented to prevent further escapes?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.