Mushrooms grow from coffee – level 1
A Belgian company grows mushrooms from coffee grounds. Coffee grounds are leftover coffee. You have them after you make coffee. They are usually waste.
The company gets 5.5 tons of coffee grounds from cafes every month. Workers mix the grounds with mushrooms spores. Then the mushrooms grow inside small bags.
Mushrooms need 15 days to grow. Workers then harvest the mushrooms. They empty the bags.
They use the material to make insulation tiles. Insulation tiles protect a place. By 2025, the company plans to make 13 tons of tiles every month. The plan is a good way to use less plastic.
Difficult words: waste (materials and things which people throw away), spore (a very small part of a plant or mushroom from which a new plant or mushroom grows), harvest (to pick fruit or plants to eat).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.