Music During Operation – level 2
In 2013, doctors told musician Dagmar Turner that she had a brain tumor. She had an attack during a concert.
Doctors wanted to kill the tumor with radiation. However, they were not successful. The tumor grew more, and it was dangerous for the part of the brain that controls the left hand. Doctors decided to perform an operation.
Turner explained to the doctors that for violinists, the left hand is more important than the right hand. Doctors worried that they could damage her brain.
Turner had an idea to play the violin during the operation. This helped activate some parts of her brain. Doctors could see these parts, and they did not damage the brain. The operation was successful, and Turner is recovering well.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.