Muslim Women in Europe – level 2
Recently, new laws went into effect in the Netherlands. The laws make it illegal for people to wear face-covering garments like burqas in public buildings or on public transportation. People are calling the laws a “burqa ban.”
Officially, if you are wearing something which the law bans, you must pay a fine. However, hospital and transportation employees told media that it is not a priority for them to check on people and call the police.
The Netherlands is the latest European country to have laws like this. Apart from Bulgaria, the countries are traditionally considered Western – Denmark, France, Belgium, and Austria all have bans against face coverings in public places.
Last year, the United Nations said that France is breaking human rights. It said that because of these laws, Muslim women must stay home.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.