Muslim Women in Europe – level 3
Last year, Dutch lawmakers approved laws which makes it illegal to wear burqas, niqabs, balaclavas, ski masks and full-face helmets in public buildings (such as in schools, hospitals and on public transportation).
The so-called “burqa ban” went into effect in the Netherlands recently, but some called it “unworkable.” The law says that if you are caught wearing one of the face-coverings, you must pay a fine, but police, hospitals and public transportation employees told reporters that enforcing the new law is not a priority for them.
The Netherlands is the latest European country to implement laws like this. Apart from Bulgaria, the countries are traditionally considered Western – Denmark, France, Belgium, and Austria all have bans against face coverings in public places.
Last year, the United Nations said that France’s ban violates Muslim women’s human rights and the laws could force the women to stay at home at all times.
Difficult words: burqa (a long piece of clothing which covers the whole body), niqab (clothing which covers all of the face apart from the eyes), balaclava (a type of mask which covers the face, typically worn in winter).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.