Muslims and COVID-19 Vaccine – level 3
Indonesia´s highest Muslim council aims to issue a ruling on whether a COVID-19 vaccine is halal, or permissible under Islam, before the country starts mass vaccination using a Chinese vaccine next week.
Indonesia is the world´s largest Muslim-majority country and it plans to launch vaccinations on January 13th; however, officials fear public resistance unless the vaccine is proven halal.
Every Muslim should consume halal products and avoid those that are haram, and this certainly doesn´t apply only to food and drinks, but also medicine. Gelatin from pigs is used as a stabilizer in some vaccines; however, the consumption of pork is strictly forbidden for Muslims.
Some Muslims said that it was okay to consume non-halal products in emergency situations. The Indonesian president said that he would be the first person to receive the vaccine shot in an effort to boost public acceptance of the vaccine.
Difficult words: halal (permissible or lawful according to Islamic law), haram (forbidden by Islamic law), gelatin (a colorless and tasteless protein that comes from animal body parts, and it is often used in food industry), stabilizer (a thing that helps something else stay together).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.