Muslims in China – level 3
China has been detaining Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in the western Xinjiang region. Former detainees compared the centres to prisons or concentration camps.
The Chinese government has been separating adults from children and putting them into what it calls ‘re-education camps’. The government hopes to fight extremism and terrorism and has detained around 1 million people.
Twenty-two countries sent an open letter to the United Nations, calling for China not to block freedom of movement of Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in Xinjiang. They also asked China to allow the UN’s High Commissioner access into Xinjiang.
China responded by saying it would welcome the commissioner.
Difficult words: detain (to hold somebody somewhere), minority (a group of people who are different from most people in a country), commissioner (the ‘boss’ of an organisation).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos