Muslims in Mecca – level 3
More than two million Muslims have made the pilgrimage to Mecca for the annual Hajj, the world’s largest gathering of Muslims and often considered the largest gathering of people in the world.
The Hajj pilgrimage is a religious journey that every devout follower of Islam is expected to make at least once in their life and is considered one of the faith’s greatest acts of worship. It is one of the five pillars of Islam.
On Wednesday, thousands of visitors wearing simple white folds of cloth circled around the Kaaba at the centre of the Al-Masjid al-Haram Mosque. Pilgrims walk anticlockwise around the Kaaba seven times while praying.
Hajj occurs in the twelfth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, and three million people are expected to visit Mecca for Hajj this year, Saudi Arabian authorities said.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), gathering (meeting), devout (having deep religious commitment), pillar (an important base of something), pilgrim (religious person who makes a journey).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.