Myanmar amnesty – level 2
Last week, Myanmar released almost 6,000 people from prison for amnesty.
Among the prisoners were people from the UK, Japan, and Australia. British Vicky Bowman was an ambassador to Myanmar between 2002 and 2006. Military authorities sent her to prison for one year.
Australian Sean Turnell was an adviser of Myanmar’s democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi. In February 2021, the military arrested her and Turnell. Turnell received a sentence of 650 days in prison.
Government TV showed a video in which all three people signed documents before they left the country. Human rights groups hoped that Myanmar would release all of its political prisoners.
Difficult words: amnesty (a time when officials let many people leave prison), democratic (a political system which says that everyone has the same rights), sentence (a court’s decision on what will happen to someone who did something illegal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos