Myanmar Coup – level 1
Myanmar is a country in Asia. A difficult situation is in the country. The army controls Myanmar until 2011. Aung San Suu Kyi becomes the leader of Myanmar in 2011. The army still has a lot of power.
About 1.5 million Muslim Rohingya people live in Myanmar. The army attacks the Rohingya people. More than 700,000 leave the country. Suu Kyi agrees with the attack.
Suu Kyi wins the election in Myanmar in November last year. The army says that the election is not fair. Problems start.
The army takes control of the country on Monday. It is called a coup. Some politicians are in prison now. Soldiers are in the streets. People must not go out at night. Many world leaders do not agree with the coup.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.