Myanmar Coup – level 2
The army ruled in Myanmar until 2011. After some political changes, Aung San Suu Kyi became the leader of the country.
Between 1989 and 2010, Suu Kyi spent 15 years in prison. In 1991, she got the Nobel Peace Prize. Some people were not happy with her because she agreed with a strong action against the Rohingya people. The Rohingya conflict started in 2015 and more than 700,000 people left Myanmar.
On Monday, the army took control of the country, and many government leaders ended up in prison. The army said that the recent election, in which Suu Kyi won, was not fair. It was the reason for the coup. The streets are full of soldiers now, there is a state of emergency, and people must not go out at night.
Difficult words: rule (to be in control over a country or people), election (when people choose a political leader or other important people), coup (when somebody takes the power of a government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos