Mysterious Discovery – level 3
A mysterious monolith has been discovered in a remote part of Utah after being spotted from a helicopter. The pilot Bret Hutchings spotted the monolith when he was helping wildfire resource officers count sheep in the state.
The metal structure is estimated to be between 300 and 360 centimetres high, and it seems to be firmly planted in the ground. The monolith was made from some sort of shiny metal, and it is in sharp contrast to the enormous red rocks which surround it.
Hutchings said that the object looked manmade and some observers compared it to the plank sculptures by artist John McCracken who lived in New Mexico and New York until his death in 2011. Other people said that the monolith and its surroundings resembled a famous scene from Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 film ’2001: A Space Odyssey’.
Difficult words: monolith (a single massive stone or rock that is usually built as a pillar or monument), sharp contrast (very different), observer (a person who watches or notices something), resemble (to look or seem like something else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.