Naomi Osaka ends at the French Open – level 1
Naomi Osaka comes from Japan. She is one of the best tennis players in the world. She is the tennis number two now.
Osaka wins the first match at the French Open in Paris. She does not hold a press conference after the match. Winners must always hold a press conference.
Officials fine Osaka $15,000. She must not do it again. If she does, officials can make her leave other tennis events, too.
Osaka shocks the tennis world on Monday. She ends at the French Open. She says that she has depression. She has it for three years. She needs a break.
Difficult words: press conference (when an important person has a meeting with journalists), fine (to say that someone has to pay money because he breaks a rule), depression (a serious health problem when a person feels very sad and sick for a long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.