Naomi Osaka ends at the French Open – level 3
Japan´s Naomi Osaka stunned the tennis world by withdrawing from the French Open in Paris after deciding to boycott post-match media duties.
The first-time Grand Slam champion wrote on Twitter that she would be taking some time away from tennis courts, explaining that she´d been suffering from depression for almost three years. Her decision came a day after she was fined $15,000 for not holding a press conference after winning her first-round match. Officials also threatened to expel her from the French Open and future world important tennis events if she continued to refuse to attend news conferences on matches.
However, on Monday, the world number two decided to take matters into her own hands. Osaka has suffered from depression since the US Open in 2018 that she won by beating Serena Williams in a controversial match.
Difficult words: boycott (to refuse to take part in an activity as a way of expressing disapproval), the Grand Slam (the world´s four most important annual tennis events), expel (to officially make someone leave an organization).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.