NASA Drills into an Asteroid – level 1
In 2016, a NASA spacecraft starts a journey to an asteroid. Scientists call the asteroid Bennu. It is 160 million kilometers away from Earth.
The spacecraft moves around the asteroid for two years. Last week, the spacecraft drills into the asteroid. This means it creates a hole on the outside of the asteroid. It lasts only five seconds.
The spacecraft gets a sample from the asteroid. The sample will go back to Earth. Scientist will study it.
Asteroids are pieces of rock. They come from the time of the start of the solar system. It is 4.5 billion years ago. It is possible that Bennu will hit Earth in the next century. The chance is 1 in 2700.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.