NASA Drills into an Asteroid – level 3
On Tuesday, NASA´s spacecraft performed a complex maneuver to drill into the Bennu asteroid for five seconds. In the historic operation, the spacecraft collected a sample from an asteroid in space, over 160 million kilometers from Earth.
Asteroids are among the leftover debris from the solar system´s formation 4.5 billion years ago, and scientists believe that the asteroid could hold clues to the origins of life on Earth. Scientifically, it is a very exciting event because it is the first time that humans have touched the surface of another solar system object in order to get a sample of it.
The spacecraft´s journey to the asteroid began in 2016, and it has been in orbit around the asteroid for almost two years. According to NASA, there is a 1 in 2700 chance that the asteroid will hit Earth late into the next century.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.