National Day of Catalonia – level 2
Hundreds of thousands of people came together in Barcelona, Spain, to celebrate the National Day of Catalonia. The people wanted to show their support for Catalonia’s independence. Many campaigners waved the pro-independence flag, the estelada.
A referendum on Catalonia’s independence is planned for 1st October. Spain considers it illegal, but the Catalan government will hold it anyway.
The public, however, is divided – some people support independence and some do not.
Difficult words: support (that you like something and want it to happen), independence (freedom from a country), referendum (public voting).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos