Native Americans win in North Dakota – level 2
The people of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe were protesting for months and now they are celebrating! The US Army will not allow an oil pipeline to go under a reservoir in North Dakota.
Some of the protesters came from Washington State. They supported the water protectors.
They expected the worst, but then they heard the best news ever! It is the best news for the Native Americans, for the United States and for all people. They are very happy now. Water is so important.
The Standing Rock Sioux tribe, together with climate activists, were protesting against the project from April. The project could contaminate the water and damage sacred tribal lands. The protest got support from thousands of people, who came to North Dakota.
Difficult words: tribe (a group of people of the same origin), expect (wait), contaminate (make dirty), sacred (something related to a god or gods; something that you should respect).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos